Romanian-American University Description
The Romanian-American University is a higher education institution, a legal entity of private law and public utility, part of the national education system, founded in 1991, accredited by law in 2002, evaluated by ARACIS with the qualification "High degree of trust" in 2010, whose mission is to provide education and research at a high quality standard, in an internally stimulating intellectual climate for both students and faculty.
The Romanian-American University was established in 1991, with the aim of promoting the educational values of American higher education against the background of the rich traditions of Romanian education. The initiative for the establishment of the Romanian-American University belonged to prof.univ.dr. Ion Smedescu, founding rector of the Romanian-American University and president of the Romanian-American Foundation for the Promotion of Education and Culture.
The Romanian-American University is an independent institution, not being affiliated with or sponsored by the American University.
Why “University” (educational institution)
Professor Ion Smedescu was born in the village of Obârșia, Cernișoara commune, Vâlcea county, in a rather modest family from a financial perspective, but extremely “rich” on the other hand, because he had 10 children. At the age of 12, Professor Ion Smedescu, understanding the material difficulties his family is facing, considers that he is mature enough to manage on his own and chooses to take his own life in his own hands, first growing up in an orphanage, at Turnu Roșu, so that in the period 1939-1947 he could attend and become a graduate of the “Andrei Șaguna” Normal School for Teachers in Sibiu, obtaining the teacher's diploma.
Later, in 1952, he became an economist, after graduating from the Academy of Economic Studies in Bucharest (Academy of Business and Cooperative Sciences / Institute of Economic Sciences and Planning, the names under which he worked during that period).
Because education had a defining role in professional success, in 1991, at the age of 67, Professor Ion Smedescu decided to establish the Romanian-American University, thus giving back to society a part of what he had received in turn, and wishing in this way, to offer over time a chance of professional and personal fulfillment to other children, perhaps as poor as he is, but full of ambition and determination to succeed in life.
Aware of the sympathy and pro-American spirit of Romanians, but also convinced that the best model of education is the North American, where more than 3,000 colleges and universities compete, the most successful of which are private universities, the founding President , Prof.univ.dr. Ion Smedescu, along with other prominent co-founders in Romania at that time, but also with a number of friends from the United States, such as Prof.univ.dr. Steven Bowers or Dr. Ronald Carrier - President of James Madison University for a period of over 27 years, considered it absolutely mandatory to establish a university with Romanian and American origins, both.
“ The university was established with the aim of promoting the educational values of American higher education, against the background of the rich traditions of Romanian education. The realization of this goal was based on the fact that in the United States of America higher education is supported by the general model of behavior of the American society, based on the efficient organization of the activity, the persevering sense of duty, the cultivation of work sense, self-esteem and respect. the others, the honest spirit of the competition maintained throughout his life, the competition with everyone else and, last but not least, with himself. ”, as Professor Ion Smedescu himself declares.
- March 11, 1991 »The Assembly for the establishment of the Romanian-American University was held in Bucharest, during which its functioning Statute was approved, which provided for the establishment of 7 faculties: Domestic and international commercial and financial-banking relations, Management-marketing, Domestic and international tourism economics, Management informatics, Law, Design and Medicine and public health.
- March 28, 1991 »by Decision no. 364, the Ministry of Education and Science approved the establishment of the Romanian-American University.
- April 17, 1991 »by Sentence no. 295 / 17.04.1991, Bucharest District 1 Court, “based on art. 32 of Decree 31/1954 and art. 84 et seq. of Law 21/1924 ”, granted legal personality to the Romanian-American University, with its headquarters in Șoseaua Olteniței, no. 35-37, sector 4. April 17 becomes "Day of the Romanian-American University".
- June 10, 1991 »the constituent meeting of the Senate of the Romanian-American University took place, at which prof.univ.dr. Ion Smedescu was unanimously elected Rector and was appointed "Founding Rector of the Romanian-American University". Also, the first management positions were chosen according to the law (vice-rectors, scientific secretary of the Senate, executive director, deans) and were approved for the first academic year (1991/1992): curricula, tuition, fees of studies on faculties and forms of education, as well as the registration fee for the admission competition.
- July 1991 »the first entrance exam was organized, after the completion of which 1,773 students were declared admitted.
- October 1, 1991 »The opening ceremony of the first academic year (1991/1992) took place at the Palace Hall. Until 2003, all the opening ceremonies of the academic year will take place in this location.
- December 11, 1991»The end of 1991 was marked by the adoption and voting of the Romanian Constitution, through which private education was legally recognized as part of the national education system. In these conditions, at the initiative of prof.univ.dr. Ion Smedescu, was born, on December 11, 1991, by the Civil Sentence no. 34 / 22.01.1992 of the Bucharest District 1 Court, Romanian-American Foundation for the Promotion of Education and Culture (FRAPEC), with the aim of "promoting and disseminating the values of Romanian civic education and culture in America and American ones in Romania". The 27 founding members included prestigious university teachers, researchers, lawyers, economists, doctors, etc. The Foundation took over the Romanian-American University under its auspices,
- 1992 - 1993 »years of quantitative and qualitative accumulations for the University. In February 1992, the University's Scientific Research Center was established; In May 1992, the first Student Scientific Communication Session was organized, becoming, in time, a tradition.
- 1994 - 1995 »the process of provisional authorization was carried out, in accordance with the provisions of Law 88/1993 on the accreditation of higher education institutions and the recognition of diplomas.
- July 1995 »By GD no. 568/1995 The University obtained the provisional operation authorization for the faculties: Internal and International Commercial and Financial-Banking Relations , Management-Marketing , Domestic and International Tourism Economics , Management Informatics and Law .
- o ctombrie 1995 »the duration of studies in full-time education (full-time courses) was changed from 5 years to 4 years, in accordance with the provisions of Law 84 / 24.07.1995 (Education Law).
- 1996 »The first class of graduates of the University took the bachelor's exam at state higher education institutions. Until the University is accredited in 2002, all undergraduate exams will be conducted similarly.
- 1997 »all the faculties of the University carry out their activity in a single rented premises (ISPCAIA, Bd. Expoziției no. 1).
- December 1998 »The University submitted to the Ministry of National Education the“ Self-Assessment Reports ”of the five faculties, in order to obtain their accreditation.
- 1999 - 2002 »the development of the accreditation process of the faculties and the University, according to the legal provisions in force, an essential stage for the establishment by law. Four years of continuous verification of compliance with general and specific accreditation standards.
- 1999 - 2003 »Construction of the Campus of the Romanian-American University.
- April 1999 »The Government of Romania submitted to the Parliament the Draft Law on the Establishment of the Romanian-American University.
- 2000 »The Faculty of European Economic Integration Studies (SIEE) is established, provisionally authorized by GD no. 1215/2000.
- May 2000 » The Romanian Senate votes on the law on the establishment of the Romanian-American University.
- 2001 » The University participates for the first time in the European Mobility Project Leonardo da Vinci.
- April 25, 2002 » The Plenum of the Chamber of Deputies adopts the law on the establishment of the Romanian-American University (April 25).
- May 15, 2002 » Law 274 on the establishment of the Romanian-American University and the accreditation of its 5 faculties is published in the Official Gazette .
- September 2002 » organization of the first exam to complete the undergraduate studies at the Romanian-American University, according to the law. There follows a period of institutional monitoring for a period of 3 years after accreditation, according to the provisions of OMEC no. 4548/2002.
- September 2002 »The Ministry of Education and Research approves the organization and development of the first master's programs (postgraduate studies lasting 3 semesters), according to the law.
- October 2003 »the inauguration of the Campus of the Romanian-American University with the participation of some representatives of the country's leadership and of the collaborating American universities.
- 2004 »The University adheres to the Erasmus Charter.
- June 2004»A new legal regulation appears - Law 288/2004 on the organization of university studies - which produced a major reform of the structure of higher education in Romania. The law has been applied since the 2005-2006 academic year and aimed at organizing university studies in accordance with the provisions of the Bologna Process, in 3 cycles: bachelor's degree - master's degree - doctorate and the general application of the European Transferable Credit System (ECTS). Law 288/2004 was accompanied by numerous regulations regarding the organization of university studies in all higher education institutions. Thus, for the field of "Economic Sciences" the structure of university studies was established at: 3 years - bachelor, 2 years - master, 3 years - doctorate, and for the field "Legal Sciences" at: 4 years - bachelor, 1 year - master, 3 years - PhD.
- September 2004 »was obtained the temporary operation authorization for the part-time education at the faculties of Internal and International Business and Financial-Banking Relations, Management - Marketing, Economics of Domestic and International Tourism and Law, according to the law.
- October 2005 »The University has restructured its educational offer in accordance with the provisions of Law 288/2004 and other legal regulations, respectively 8 undergraduate programs have been created: " International Affairs "and " Finance and Banking " at the Faculty of Business Relations and Financial-Banking Domestic and International, "Economics of Commerce, Tourism and Services" at the Faculty of Economics of Domestic and International Tourism, " Management " and " Marketing " at the Faculty of Management-Marketing, " Economics " at the Faculty of Management Informatics, " Economics and Business international”At the Faculty of European Economic Integration Studies and“ Law ”at the Faculty of Law. Six of these undergraduate programs also had the form of part-time education, so that the University organized, starting with the 2005/2006 academic year, 14 undergraduate programs .
- 2007-2010 »according to the provisions of Law 87/2006 -“ Law on the quality of education ”- The University begins a new process of accreditation of study programs and the institution as a whole: accreditation of master's degree programs; accreditation of provisionally authorized undergraduate study programs; provisional authorization of new undergraduate study programs; (re) accreditation under the regular external evaluation procedure (every 5 years) of all accredited undergraduate study programs since 2002 and the institutional accreditation of the University under the regular external evaluation procedure (every 5 years).
- May 2007 »consecration of the Chapel inside the University and granting the first title Doctor Honoris Causa of the Romanian-American University to the Most Blessed Father Teoctist, Patriarch of the Romanian Orthodox Church.
- 2007 - 2008 »the 5 faculties with economic profile of the University became members of the Association of Romanian Faculties of Economics (AFER), a prestigious professional-scientific body which included the most valuable public economic higher education institutions in Romania.
- 2007-2008 »Periodic external evaluation (every 5 years) of all accredited undergraduate programs (in 2002).
- February 2008 »accreditation of the bachelor's program within the Faculty of European Economic Integration Studies and change of the name of the faculty in the Faculty of European Economic Studies .
- March 2008 »The University creates a new bachelor's program -" Accounting and Management Informatics ", organized within the Faculty of Internal and International Business and Financial-Banking Relations, for which it obtains the provisional operation authorization.
- July 2008 »the first promotion of“ Bologna system ”graduates of the economic faculties.
- July 2008 »attestation of the Romanian-American University as a research-development unit , according to GD 551/2007, by MECT Decision no. 9692 / 04.07.2008.
- September 2008 »The university obtains accreditation for the first 10 master's degree programs (second cycle of Bologna university studies) in the fundamental field" Economic Sciences ", designed in accordance with GD 404/2006.
- October 1 »The University awards the title of Doctor Honoris Causa to Professor Dr. Ronald E. Carrier - President Emeritus of James Madison University.
- October 5, 2008 »the death of the Rector-founder, the university professor dr. Ion Smedescu.
- December 2008 »election of the university professor dr. Ovidiu Folcuț as Rector of the Romanian-American University.
- July 2009 »the first promotion of“ Bologna system ”graduates of the Faculty of Law.
- September 2009 »accreditation of all bachelor's degree programs in part-time education.
- October 2009 » accreditation of the first 2 master's degree programs (second cycle of Bologna university studies) in the field of" Law " and 4 more master's programs at the economic faculties.
- July 22, 2010 »following the institutional evaluation The ARACIS Council awards the Romanian-American University the“ High degree of trust ”rating for the period 2010-2015 - the highest national appreciation regarding the quality of educational services provided by a higher education institution, according to the law.
- September 2010 »accreditation of 2 more master's degree programs at the economic faculties.
- January 2011 »Law 1/2011 - Law on National Education - appears, which brings major changes in the structure and functions in the field of teaching, organization and functioning of higher education in Romania.
- February 2011 »The University diversifies its educational offer by creating and accrediting the first two undergraduate programs of study with teaching in English , in the specializations" International Business "(Faculty of Business and Financial Relations-Internal and International Banking) and" Computer Science for Economics ”(Faculty of Management Informatics).
- April 2011 »The University grants the title of Doctor Honoris Causa of the University to the university professor. Dr. Iftekhar Hasan, Cary L. Wellington Professor of Finance at the Lally School of Management and Technology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (April 14).
- April - September 2011 »conducting the evaluation process in order to classify universities and prioritize study programs, in accordance with the provisions of GD 789/2011. According to the provisions of OMECTS 5262/2011 regarding the finding of the results of the classification of universities, the Romanian-American University is a university focused on education. The results of the ranking of study programs valid for the academic year 2011-2012 were: 2 programs in class A - programs of excellence (International Economic Relations and Finance), 4 programs in class B and 1 program in classes D and E (authorized program provisional).
- June 2011 »The University awards the title of Doctor Honoris Causa to Academician Mugur Isărescu, Governor of the National Bank of Romania (June 30).
- 2012 - 2021 »resumption of the periodical evaluation process, on each specialization, form of education and language of instruction, with strict observance of the term of 5 years from the previous evaluation.
- 2013 » The first international institutional evaluation of the University by the EUA-IEP takes place (March - October).
- January 2014 »the consecration of the painting of the Chapel inside the University and the inauguration of the Reading Room" Lux Mundi "by His Beatitude Father Daniel, Patriarch of the Romanian Orthodox Church (January 16).
- February 2014 »purchase of the land and the sports base in Șos. Străulești no. 4-6 - the largest investment of the University after 2004.
- October 2014 »The University launches the first master's degree programs in English :“ Finance ”- a double degree program, organized in co-supervision with the University of Siena and“ Strategic Marketing ”.
- October 2014 »Another master's degree program is accredited at the Faculty of Law.
- February - August 2015 »the periodic institutional evaluation, at 5 years and the award, on August 24, 2015, by the ARACIS Council, of the Qualifier “ High degree of confidence ”for the period 2015-2020.
- May 2015 »the RAU Sports Center is inaugurated.
- July 2015 »accreditation of the bachelor's program" Accounting and Management Informatics ".
- October 2015 »The University launches two more accredited master's degree programs in English teaching:“ International Business and Entrepreneurship ”and“ Computer Science for Business ”.
- 2017 »diversification of the educational offer by accrediting two more master's programs with teaching in English -" Business Management in Tourism and Aviation "and" International Economic Relations and Economic Diplomacy "- and a master's program with teaching in Romanian, at faculty MM.
- October 2017 »the Faculty of Physical Education, Sports and Physical Therapy is established and two undergraduate study programs are provisionally authorized:“ Physical and Sports Education ”and“ Physical Therapy and Special Motor Skills ”(GD 615/2017)
- 2019 »accreditation of the master's field" Accounting ", with the master's program" Business Management and Auditing ".
- March 12, 2020 »The University goes into" online "mode as a result of the COVID-19 crisis.
- September 2020 »The University adapts its offer of master's degree programs to the requirements of the market. It includes 16 accredited master's programs, of which 6 are taught in English.
- October 1, 2020 »The University opens" on-line "the academic year 2020/2021. All activities remain "online" in the first semester, due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- 2021 »The university continues to carry out all activities" online "due to the pandemic situation.
Romanian-American University Programme
Romania is a southeastern European country known for the forested region of Transylvania, ringed by the Carpathian Mountains. Its preserved medieval towns include Sighişoara, and there are many fortified churches and castles, notably clifftop Bran Castle, long associated with the Dracula legend. Bucharest, the country’s capital, is the site of the gigantic, Communist-era Palatul Parlamentului government building. Romania, a country of southeastern Europe. The national capital is Bucharest. Romania was occupied by Soviet troops in 1944 and became a satellite of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (U.S.S.R.) in 1948. The country was under communist rule from 1948 until 1989 when the regime of Romanian leader Nicolae Ceaușescu was overthrown. Free elections were held in 1990. In 2004 the country joined the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), and in 2007 it became a member of the European Union (EU).
Romania is one of Eastern Europe’s hidden gems. Famous not only for its gorgeous landscapes and its seven UNESCO world heritage sites, Romania gave the world some of the biggest inventions and pushed the world to where it is today.
From Ana Aslan, the creator of some of the best anti-aging products, and Petrache Poenaru, the inventor of the fountain pen, to some of the greatest engineers in the world, like the father of cybernetics, Stefan Odobleja, and the golden trio of aerodynamics, Henri Coanda, Traian Vuia, and Aurel Vlaicu, Romania basically laid the groundwork for the 21st century.